2018 Review

With the start of the new year, I thought that I'd take some time to reflect on what went down in 2018 for me, because it was quite the year!

Training in Numbers 

2018 was riddled with injuries, preventing me from hitting my training targets for the year, unfortunately. But with a focus on quality over quantity for the year, I'm proud of what I accomplished despite the consequences. 

Total hours of physical training: 
- 327.37.23 

Top 3 activities  
1. Running - 79.51.15 hours, 826.91km, 5798m of climb
2. Cycling - 64.00.06 hours, 721.69km, 4893 m of climb
3. Orienteering - 62.01.38 hours, 478.91km, 6258m of climb

Running Races and PBs
- 5 cross country races 
- 3 PBs
5k: 18.36
6k: 22.37
8km: 30.40
- 51st place at Sports National xc champs, 1st place McMaster woman. 

Orienteering Races 
- 26 races
- JWOC, WUOC, NAOC/COC, Venla/Jukola, etc.
- 4 countries raced in (Canada, USA, Hungary and Finland)
- 4x top 10 international finishes.
- 1x podium finish.
- Millions and millions of scratches from the Hungarian bush.

JWOC Sprint - 6th (photo by Robert Svoboda)

Longest Race 
- COC's Long distance, F21E - 13.83km (10.3km course length)

Shortest Race
- COC/NAOC Sprint distance, F20 - 3.11km (2.5km course length)

Countries Visited 
- Canada
- USA
- Hungary
- Finland
- Switzerland

New Things 

1. Became an Ambassador for Fast and Female (https://www.fastandfemale.com)
     Let me tell you a little bit about this EPIC organization. Adolescent girls will drop out of sport at a rate 6 time that of boys. The main reason being the feeling of not being socially included. Fast and Female has the mission to provide a positive, empowering and supportive environment for girls in sport, in order to increase their confidence, make them happy and provide them with the opportunity to develop sport and life skills. I became involved with F&F in May when I attended one of their "Champ Chats" session in Toronto. I haven't been able to make any of the other program dates work yet, but I'm hoping for a long-term involvement with this program. Girls in sport are empowered for life! 
F&F Ambassadors at the Toronto Champs Chats session, 2018
2. Made the top -7 on McMaster's Cross Country Team
     At the beginning of this season, I put a sticky note on my light switch that said "Top 7". It was my goal to be on the competitive team this year for cross, but little did I know I would be in our top 3 for every race but one. And to top it off, being the 1st place woman for Mac at Nationals.

3. Traveled to a new place - Hungary
     This was such an amazing trip!! Hungary is a country I didn't think I'd get the opportunity to travel to with orienteering - it's always Norway, Finland, Sweden, repeat... so this was so cool and different! Budapest was an beautiful city, one that I would love to travel back to. Not to mention the good memories of making the JWOC podium in Hungary, now THAT will stick with me.
Budapest, Hungary

4. Made a new online friend
   ... or troll, I guess. Something that's never happened, but now it's kind of a joke to me and my friends and family. (read my JWOC 2018 post for more info)

5. Took actual time to recover and listen to my body
     #selfcare

6. Became an Ambassador for Endurance Tap https://endurancetap.com
    These gels, seriously.
Made with only 3 ingredients, Endurance Tap are all-natural, all-delicious Canadian maple syrup gels. Equipped with a screw-off cap, these gels are so portable, and did I mention delicious?!? Can't wait to be part of Team Tap for 2019, and #fuelsimply.
The perfect long xc-ski fuel in Switzerland!



Overall, it's been a hell of a year filled with ups and downs, personal bests and achievements, as well as injuries and set-backs. But despite it all, I end this year with a smile, and so much excitement for what opportunities 2019 will bring! 


Comments

  1. Yes, it was quite a year! It has been great fun for us to follow your adventures. Have a fantastic 2019 Emma.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

World Cup Round 1 and Jukola 2019

Junior Worlds 2018